Tuesday, May 1, 2007

Children's Ashram

Visited an ashram for children of leprosy patients from around India.
A peaceful place set back in a jungle of a nature reserve near where we're staying. I'm assured there are lions, tigers and elephants roaming around but I did not see any.
The place is so peaceful that you can not help but become quiet and conversation is stilted and low.
Normally there are 200+ children here but not at the moment. They are back with heir family on he streets of which ever city they come from. There are about 40 full time children here, mostly orphans or ones that work here. I really is an oasis of tranquility with neatly ended flowers growing everywhere. The whole place is built on a narrow stretch of farm land and all around farmers work their little patches.
On the way back we stop by the treatment center for some local leprosy patients and we pass through the "leper slum". It all seems peaceful enough and they have a little village of sorts.
It really is another world from a long time ago, I feel like I'm in a Josh Conrad book as I wander about the compound.
Then off bank to the safety and cleanliness of the ashram.

No comments: