Sunday, May 6, 2007

Mussoorie

After a day off of just lounging around and haggling over a motorbike I keep talking myself in and out of buying Simone 2 and I have decided on another road trip to a town called Mussoorie.
Hitting the road at 6am its to Dahra Dhun and then another bus to Mussoorie.
One of the first mountain stations built by the British in 18....... It is 2000 meters above sea level. Dahra Dhun is only at 700m. The 1300m is traversed by a road that snakes into the mountain for what seems like eternity but the town and the views make the trip really worth while.
The air at this altitude is light and fresh that it makes breathing shear pleasure.
Way back when, this place was very popular with the "Raj set" and you still get that feel from it. With it's little amusement arcades and restaurants everywhere. There is even a cinema (long closed) that gives the place a really nice Bray (in the old days) feel to it.
Then back down the mountain with break neck turns in a bus with a filling loosening horn that he really over uses. Negotiate the seemingly ever changing and over complex public transport and home to Rishikesh.

1 comment:

timmyb2000 said...

Les, absolutely fantastic reading all the sights you are seeing, I can almost smell the tea and food!
Swimming in all that ganga you must get very high!
I also hear the bumper cars are just as dodgy as Bray!