Saturday, May 19, 2007

Phool Chatti

Am writing by moon light due to another power cut. They are a daily occurrence (sometimes hourly) so am used to them now.
Got bike and am very happy with her. There is still a few bits and pieces to be done to her but I'm happy.
Alok and Gaurav (the 2 local brothers I bought bike from) have been an absolute pleasure to deal with. They have made sure everything is sorted on it and have been a great help with everything else I needed and kept my belly full of chai and my mind full with conversation. It takes so long to get anything done here that you need friends to keep you from going around the bend. Have not had time to bond with the bike yet but I think it could be the beginning of a beautiful friendship.
Have moved into Phool Chatti ashram with Juan and Carlos ( two guys from Chili I met in cafe) and Sue (an girl from Oz that we met in street) for a week course. A beautiful spot about 6km from Rishikesh, it is on the bank of the Ganga beside a rapid that fill s the air with a soft river song.
The place is really peaceful with mango trees and rose gardens all around. The tree in court yard that has Jasmine growing through it fills the air with a sweet scent. The tree is a hive of activity with all sorts of birds (some only a couple of inches in size with incredible plumage). The Ashrams doves feed around its base with pidgions flirting with them.
Any excuse to take bike for a spin Juan and I head to see if I can find Hari Krishna John to say goodbye as he is leaving soon but I cant find him. Instead I find a snake charmer at the Swiss Cottage. I went over to have a chat with him and he let me handle his female Cobra. She was really beautiful. About 4 foot long, she coiled around my arm and slithered around me, tasting the air with her delicate tongue, she was so soft and gentle I wanted to take her with me.
More bike stuff then back to Phool Chatti just in time for another amazing lightning storm.