Sunday, June 10, 2007

Gangotri Day 2

The Krishna ashram that is basic to say the least, my room is dark with a small glassless window just covered by a sack. The beds are made of hard wood with thin mattresses on them and the blankets are like the mattress, about 3 inches thick. It is a very nice place though and everybody staying are nice and chilled. The Swami is a very cool guy that seems to be in and out of a trance all the time. Food is included in the price and it is served to us as we sit under the eves of the main building and the rough wooden floor.
The morning is warm with the sun shinning and the clear thin air means I can see the peaks with real 35mm HD clarity (sorry one for the movie geeks but it really is that clear).
The town consists of one main street lined with restaurants and shops. The street teems with people from all over India with a few white faces popping up between all the dark colourful masses.
I shop around for some warmer clothes and eat some good food with interesting conversations. The place attracts interesting people as it is a hard journey only serious pilgrims make it.
Decide I'll make the 18k trek to Gamok ("The Cows Mouth" the source of the Ganga) in the morning as I feel fit and ready so spend the day resting up and filling up.

No comments: