Leave Dehra Dun and head north. I have a routine now where I leave town before breakfast and stop in a roadside cafe along the way for chai and usually aloo parathan (A filled bread lightly fried). It is really a treat as the chai is always best from these places and the parathan is always different and generally good. As I move north the recipes change and how it is served, sometimes with curd and/or a sort of bean stew (different everywhere I go).
The roads here are good so the going is easy and after the service the bike is going great. Spinning through the hills.
I have been in the state of Utteranchal for almost 2 months and as the sign looms "You are now leaving Utteranchal, Welcome to Himchel Pradesh" I'm delighted and it spures me on.
My first stop is a little town called Nahal, founded in 1621 it's narrow winding streets with crumbling architecture reminds me of towns I visited in France.
It is very peaceful but that may be due to the fact that it is a sort of holiday and all the markets are closed.
The town sees very few tourist so everybody is genuinely friendly. The old architecture some almost mock Tudor gives me a real homely feel. It is definitely one of the wealthier towns I have visited. In the center of town there is a big playing field where kids play cricket and football.
Through the labyrinth of streets little temples appear with groups of women singing.
Wandering aimlessly around I soon get completely lost but it is not long till I'm found by a couple of kids that guide me back to a landmark I recognise. I reward the kids with ice pops and we sit watching the games by the playing field and chat and laugh eating our pops.
After a while I take my leave and realise that even from this landmark I have completely forgotten where my guest house is and don't even remember the name. I wander around trying to find an alley I remember but they all look the same in the fading light. I eventually remember the name of a guest house beside it and I ask a few people that stare blankly back at me till I eventually I follow a point down an alley and around a corner and I'm very relived to see my bike there, ironically the guest house is called "De Remembrance"
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment