My early start is thwarted by monsoon rains and I pull the covers up to enjoy the intoxication you only get from a warm bed with the sound of torrential rain outside.
I'm disturbed from my haze by the owner knocking on my door and calling me happily to get up. I go the door to be greeted by an elated man that brings me to the window to watch the rain. He explains joyfully with a clap on the back that his farm has been suffering and the rain is the best thing he has seen in ages. We chat with chai as the downpour continues. After discussing the nature of god the rain stops and he shows me his oyster mushroom farm under the guesthouse (that explains the slightly dank room).
The sky has cleared so its on the road again to Shimla.
I know I'm getting close to Shimla with the increase of hell bent bus drivers that rush up behind me beeping and fly past around the corner with the chaises leaning almost to the point that they must flip over but manage not to.
Shilma is considered the archetypal hill station and is a very popular tourist destination for the Indians. As I drive into the town touts actually run out into the middle of the road shouting to me about hotel rooms till a bus comes by and they launch onto it, clinging to its sides as it rolls into the bus station calling to the passengers about rooms.
The hills are covered with what looks like a chaotic landslid of buildings cascading down.
In the hotels you have to haggle furiously and I walk out of a few till I'm called back with a price I like.
The room I find is very reminiscent of flats I have lived in in my youth with that slightly damp smell complete with silver fish but I find it all a quite comforting in a funny way.
After dinner I wander back to my room, I pass a one table pool hall and head in for a look. It is the dankest pool room I have ever seen with mouldy wallpaper climbing the walls. The table champion is called and we play. I'm set to win the second game but I'm informed that I can not pot the black in center pocket for some reason as I'm lined up to do and he wins the game. After asking me if I want to bet I refuse as it the odds are against me if they're going to make up the rules as they go and suddenly the shutters are down and I'm out on the street. To bed and sleep.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment