Monday, April 30, 2007

Ashram

Been in the ashram for the last 3 days and I have had some highs and some lows.
It is a fine place, really clean and everybody is very friendly but it is really too much like a hospital and there are a lot of sick people, the general vibe also reminds me too much of the hospis that Pop's shook of of his mortal coil. Allot of the sickies re cancer patients and the place begins to come in on me a bit.
Simone and I are the only whites here and it is amazing their reactions to us. The Indians have no idea of personal space so they just come up to you and stare, the expressions on theirs face are so that I have to check if I have a second head.
Today I'm really feeling claustrophobic so I head for a walk, passing huge bushels of wild ganja as I stroll along the road really feeling like I need to get away.
I head back to the place and just sit in the yoga area and a family comes up to me, I pose with them for a photo and we sign to each other, the Indian are really such a sweet people.
As the Sheeshaw was the national pastime in Egypt, conversation is the national pastime here. "Where do you come from?", "what do you do?", "are you married?' are the usual openers.
When the family moves on I head across the campus and I bump into one of the teachers and he invite me to his office for some conversation. He has a dairy full of conversational phrases that you can tell he has painstakingly collected over the past years.
We pass the time talking only stopping for him to flip through his dairy.
"What do you want to be?"
"How many in you family?"
"Give my regards to your mother"
His name is Visnod and we talk for a good while, laughing and learning.
After this its back to the room feeling much better about myself and the place and get to relaxing in.

No comments: