Monday, April 9, 2007

Cairo Day time day #1

I got lucky with the location of my hotel, it is right in the center of town and has everything I need on my doorstep.
I venture out into the bright sunshine and bustling street. On nearly every corner there are tea houses so and I found one that is suitably spit on the floor kind of place, everybody lounging around sucking on their Sheeshaas (A national past time in Egypt) and the air is full of acrid apple smelling smoke.
The door ways are the best place to sit as you have the best view of the street and it is not long till I'm joined by an elderly gentleman (I say gentleman as he really was a gentleman of the highest order). He is from the Sudan and is old but ageless with a gentle face, a spotless white kaftan and cane he says he does not need but carries for effect.
We pass a couple of hours talking about Sudan, Sine fain and life in general with a good bit of laughter thrown in. After parting words of wisdom and pleasant wishes I head back into the bedlam.
It does not take long for another friend to find me and I'm whisked to a cafe to sit and talk where I pay way to much for the tea and then he brings to his Uncle's perfume house with promises of curing everything that ales me and a story of Mohamed Ali being a customer there along with Colin Farrell. After about a half hour of talking about oils and being adopted by their family I pay too much for a bottle of stuff that will clear my skin, give me enlightenment and bring world peace.
After I'm guided back to my hotel and another tip is given to the guy that brought me there. Back in the hotel I realise I was taken for a ride but they were so good I do not begrudge them and I get to wipe a bit more green from behind my ears.

No comments: