Sunday, April 29, 2007

India Day 3

6.55 train to Hadiwar. The train system here is great, really easy to navigate at the service is bang on time. There is even refreshments served.
I have the window seat so i can take in the country as we pass. The country is very fertile and flat, perfect for all the little farms that seem to go on for ever. At every level crossing there are hundreds of people at the gates in every type of transport ever imaginable waiting at the gates.
Beside me is a very nice lady called Veena that is of Indian origin but when I ask which part of India I'm informed California where she is retired and her husband runs the family Subway sandwich shop and next to her Simone and Swiss girl traveling for the last 5 months. Instantly Veena adopts us and before we know it we have all decided to go to a ashram outside Hadiwar.
The trip form the train station is a perilous one as the traffic even out in the sticks is manic but the rickshaw is skillfully handled and we whizz past buses, trucks, cows, motorcycles with full families on them with lots of close calls but no actual collisions. All along the side of the road is full of bushes of wild hemp and the air is full of the smell.
The ashram is a big complex that is really more of a hospital but I decide what the hell and give it a go as it is a lovely area and very clean with lush gardens and the room is bigger then some apartments I have lived in.

No comments: