Monday, April 9, 2007

Cairo day #2

The learning curve arcs on and I learn a few tricks to keep the scammers off my back. I really have had to focus and get my head straight. In Dahab you can just drift along and a smile gets you all you need but here I have really had to sober up to the city, Darwin's theories are in full swing here.
With my new stern persona life here is allot less hassled so I can really enjoy the city.
All then men walk round arm in arm and greet each other with kisses but public displays of affection with women is frowned upon.
I hit the Egyptian museum today- A great big dusty building with artifact filling it's many rooms, an awe inspiring place- whole civilisations ripped from their resting places and assembled for us all to see, so long dead that seem alien.
A real window into the human ego, these people trying to beat death and doing so in a way I'm sure they did not expect, broken, fragmented and glorious but beaten by time. If King Tut only knew, people of all creed and gender looking at his remains and me a Jew- one of the tribe that was once his slaves free and able to lord over him and see his faults, live and breath and do all the things he thought he would be doing forever but will I be remembered in a thousand years? I think not. I learn from his arrogance and feel blessed by the freedom I have.

No comments: