Sunday, April 8, 2007

Calm to Caos

Am in the heaving metropolis of Cairo and it is amazing to me that just 2 days ago I was chilling with the Bedouins in the dessert.
After Ras Abagalum we headed up to Laguna, an other hour north of Abagalum.
Our hut is made ready at the edge of the lagoon. A green shimmering lagoon with just a spatter of huts along it's shore.
A cafe sits at the elbow of the sand spit. The huts here are positively luxurious compared to Abagalum. V and I are the only westerners for miles around.
I feel the last of any tension drift away as I float in the crystal water.
As the sun descends behind the mountains shafts of blue and red light filters though the peaks.
The stars come out and then the mournful moon rises and dominates the sky.
We sit around a little fire and sip tea.
We sleep outside with the lagoon lapping at our feet.
V's bed is a couple of feet away and I see a little mammal about the size of a mouse scurry along the side of her mattress, I moved slightly and it shot back to its hiding spot. I lie still to see if it comes back and I can take a better look at it. I heard the pitter patter of tiny feet an I see it come towards me and then it lept at me! I jumped out of the bed in fright but it has disappeared. After long consideration and lack of witnesses I put it down to hallucination for the opium a Bedouin gave me and after a nervous while, jumping at every little noise I fall asleep and rise to a golden sunrise, after tea we start our 14k hike back to Dahab and arrive in time for breakfast.

No comments: