Sunday, April 29, 2007

Holy Cow!

John come over to me at 8.30 and off we go to train station where I pick up a ticket for next day to Hadiwar, no three day wait, no 3000 rs.
I book in the Shelton the the real Main Bazaar that is not full after all and even though it is one of the more expensive hotels in Pahagranj is still only half price of place I stayed last night.
I say my goodbyes to John, refusing a tip he gives me a big hug and I know I have a real friend in Delhi.
After dropping bag I head out to take in the streets.
How to describe Delhi! First of all the thing that hits you is just the incredible amount of people and noise, then there is the smell that is not all that unpleasant, it is a mix of spice and cow shite but in some places urine which is not ever nice. I think it is impossible to exaggerate about this place as it really is just fantastic! My senses are totally over loaded. It is very difficult to write about because just taking a few steps would fill a book.
These narrow streets filled with auto rickshaws whizzing about, people milling to and fro and everywhere people calling after you and then just when you think you have seen it all I turn a corner to come face to face with an elephant. The is barley enough room in these streets to get a car down but an elephant! There are people people driving it. They do not seem to be doing it for money it just as if they have come into town for a spot of shopping.
There are beggars everywhere with all different kinds of ailments, withered legs being the most common. Young boys dragging themselves along the ground banging their tin cups.
As the heat reaches the mid 40s there is nothing I can do but head back to hotel and sweat. The heat is nothing like I have ever felt before, everything is roasting. When I take my water out of my bag its like drinking milky tea and my key feels like it is burning my hand when I open the door.
The food is great though but as I munch on a bit of curry in a cafe and watch the passing chaos i really cant wait to get out of this claustrophobic scene.

No comments: