Friday, April 20, 2007

Moon Beach Day #2

After a vigorous yoga session and breakfast I head to the beach that is all of 10 meters away and settle in for a day of sun, sea, sand and Flann O'Brian. There is no wind so thankfully windsurfing is not on the cards.
About lunch time there is some activity around the center, I'm handed the binoculars and I see these dark shapes arcing along the surface of the lagoon about 200 meters out so we jump straight into the zodiac whizz out to find ourselves in the middle of a pod of about 20 dolphins cruising by slowly, just gliding through the water going about their business. Not paying us much mind they just kept moving but it was great to see them.
After that excitement I was up for a bit of adventure and wake boarding was suggested. I thought "That looks easy, no problem", but all I managed to do was nose dive into the water repeatedly and fill my sinuses with half of the Gulf of Suez. After the 5th time of being slammed into the water and having my arms pulled out of my sockets the lesson was cut short as the dolphins were back and I gratefully jumped back in the zodiac and we sped over to the pod and this time they were a bit more playful and I dived off the boat and free dived down with them, I opened my eyes and 3 of them were swimming around me eyeing me with their pleasant curiosity, I was face to face in full eye contact with a wild dolphin, it was truly amazing!
In a blink of an eye they vanish and come up again a 100 meters away and I hop back in the zodiac, as we whizz round the lagoon the dolphins come up a ride the bow wave, I position my self right out over the bow and spread my arms out so I was flying across the surface only 2 feet above them riding the bow wave, they turned and eyed me we flew together across the lagoon.
Again we stopped and I was back in the water and the dolphin family's were just swimming around me, the whole family babies and all passing with in arms reach and for about 20 minutes of hopping in and out of pedalos swimming around with them, some of them just jumping around us showing off they just moved on and in a blink of an eye again they were down the coast and out of sight. A truly magical experience, it has been a life long dream to swim with wild dolphins and as we head back to shore startled flying fish take flight across the lagoon, I feel like my hearts is soring and is carrying the boat back.
Into evening yoga and the image of the dolphins under the water comes to me so strongly, my mediation is like being under there with them again and when I start the sun salutations my sinuses empty half the Gulf onto my mat (A very advanced yoga practice I'm informed).

No comments: